Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Might of God

"Have you guys looked outside?" Sarah said as she came into Jason's house. Bewildered we quickly ran outside to see massive storm clouds looming over Hampton and quickly coming across the water towards us. The wind picked up and the sky back over Norfolk took on an odd orange-red hue. It was like we were in the eye of the storm. Someone mentioned that this is what the apocalypse should/would look like. Soon the wind picked up and I could smell the rain. I began to feel the rain on my face and looked down to see little droplets on my shirt. Hampton had totally been engulfed and swallowed up by the storm so we couldn't even see the lights. Everyone else hastily retreated inside for watermelon, but I stayed on the porch welcoming the lashing rain with outstretched arms. The wind moved on the water sending visible ripples hurriedly across the cove. "Are you getting wet?" Jason asked. "Only a little!" I said as I returned outside with a hunk of melon. Finally I went inside and watched the night turn to day from the lightning outside. Matt decided that the balcony upstairs would provide a much better theater, so up we went. Indeed now the lightening was dancing at eye level and we had a 180 degree view over the bay. After each strike, I would blink and see the outline still burned into my retina. What should have been the finale if it had been a fireworks show was the simultaneous descent of over five bolts like fingers reaching down to touch the horizon. It was truly awe inspiring and beautiful. We also saw lightning strike a cruiseliner that was heading towards the tunnel. The stern glowed orange-red where the lightning struck. The storm continued to rage for another couple hours with flashes and thunder as a mainstay. Undoubtedly the best thunderstorm I've ever seen. The power of God was on full display.

No comments: