Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Days in Korea

I've decided to share some interesting Korean cultural things I've noticed or been told in the last few days. The first meal I had in Korea was with the Dean of International Cooperation. He remarked that Koreans ate fast and didn't care if they made noise while eating like Americans did. I told him that some Americans ate fast and mentioned my brothers. Another thing that has gotten some getting used to is the absence of both papertowels and blow dryers in the bathrooms at Kosin. I saw them in the airport, but not on campus here. I really don't like my hands being wet. One of my favorites has been the waving with both hands instead of the standard Western one handed wave. Also, apparently students will also ask if you've had lunch, which is the equivalent of "how are you?" I haven't run into that yet, but someone did ask if I had eaten breakfast, which I guess was the same thing.

This week I can't teach because of government regulations on swine flu. All incoming foreign teachers have to avoid the classroom for a week after they arrive. Technically we're not supposed to leave our apartments, but that isn't happening. In the meantime I've been trying to prepare for classes and trying to get my chopstick skills down. In Korea they use stainless steel chopsticks, which are more difficult to use than wood ones. I'm also hoping to learn the Korean alphabet and maybe some phrases. There's some official things to do as well such as getting my Alien Registration Card which is key for many other things such as getting a cell phone.

The scenery is beautiful here. I'll try posting some pictures soon.

No comments: