The first ascent. Pretty much the first 10 minutes continues at about this steepness. I even included a Korean woman in the shot for perspective, although I'm not sure it still doesn't capture it.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
My Side of the Mountain/Sunday Relaxation
Yesterday was a gorgeous day, so as any good Palmer would do, I decided to climb the mountain and get my General Revelation on. I took it a bit slower than last time, and it paid off as I was able make it to the top with only two brief rests. The soothing music of Iron & Wine also may have helped. Who knew Trapeze Swinger and Carousel could be such great hiking songs?
The first ascent. Pretty much the first 10 minutes continues at about this steepness. I even included a Korean woman in the shot for perspective, although I'm not sure it still doesn't capture it.
Looking East, a shot of the mouth of the harbor from the first stretch of relatively level trail.
"This trail looks good enough." The mountain is a very popular climb among Koreans so there's lots of different trails. This of course does not mean that they are well maintained trails. Loose rocks and slippery leaves are a norm. At least they put rope at steeper parts of the trail.
I took a wrong turn and I found what I think were a bunch of Buddhist graves. There used to be a Buddhist temple up on the mountain until Kosin basically forced them to leave.
A view at the top looking Southwest (other side of the mountain). There were about 50 ships anchored out there.
The south tip of Yeongdo. Taejondae (the park where I went two weekends ago) is around the farthest hill.
Kosin, Sweet Kosin. Most of the buildings in the immediate foreground belong to the university.
The view from the summit was amazing. It was a fairly clear day and you could see a lot of Busan (besides what is hidden by the mountains) and the ocean. God's handiwork was on full display. After scrambling down the mountain, often not by choice as much as necessity, I found a rare patch of grass in front of one of the dorms. I promptly threw off my shoes and walked around barefoot, enjoying the cool grass between my toes. Grass is hard to find around here as often every bit of land is developed or forest. I then laid down and watched the clouds and the wind blowing the turning leaves. Then off to the Edlin's for English Fellowship which was as encouraging, challenging, and edifying as always. What a relaxing and refreshing Sunday!
The first ascent. Pretty much the first 10 minutes continues at about this steepness. I even included a Korean woman in the shot for perspective, although I'm not sure it still doesn't capture it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh my goodness! The views look spectacular.
climbing a mountain IS one of the best ways to get your revelation on :) It's just soooooo BEAUTIFUL!
BEAUTIFUL! I miss climbing mountains!!
Post a Comment