Sunday, September 13, 2009

Baseball

Most people know that I love baseball. This works greatly in my favor in Korea where baseball is also very popular. So on Friday afternoon I practiced and then played a game with some of the English Department guys. At the last minute they decided that I should play first base, a position that I have rarely (if ever) played. Andy said that they might have decided I was the best so they put me there. I did impress them in the outfield during practice, so I had been hoping to play out there. Anyways, the game was a lot of fun, although we lost.

The team. Most of them are juniors, but they're almost all older than me. The guy two over from me is my assistant Tupenny (gray t-shirt). He got his name from combining Tupac and 50-Cent...classic.
Manning first base. We play on a dirt field that they also use for soccer, parking, and other events.
On Saturday, Andy and I met up with Sarah who came down from Seoul with some friends. The main event of the day was going to a Lotte Giants game here in Busan. Lotte is a food company (I think) who owns the team I guess. Anyways, it was quite the experience. The fans get quite rowdy and there are lots of chants and songs at these games. Some players get their own songs! There is a Mexican who plays on the team and he has his own chant, "Gar-ci-a! Gar-ci-a! Garcia! Garcia! Garcia!" accompanied by fist pumps and lots of newspaper pom pom waving. In the eighth inning they pass out orange trash bags to encourage you to take your trash with you (you can bring in stuff to eat and drink). So you put air in the bag, twist it shut and put it on your head, anchoring down the bag by putting the handles around you ears. Somewhat like a rally cap, but you do it for every game. Also, the crowd yells at the players (both their team and the opponent) in unison if they do something they don't like (make an error, attempt a pickoff, etc.). A bit different than an American baseball game, although those can get lively as well.

Andy and I
Sarah showing off her fashion. A lot of girls also make the bags into bows.
The crowd (and sunset).
This was one of their songs, although it was fairly tame compared to some of their other ones or when the Giants started scoring. We were also on the third base side, which apparently wasn't as exciting as the first base side which is where all the hardcore fans were. Anyone recognize the tune?

3 comments:

PR Merkle said...

Loved the pictures and baseball stories! So how bad did you play first base...you hint that you didn't play first very well. Was it a string of "E-3"'s?

The song: Of course, "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister. (Remember the extended version of the video?)

Elijah Palmer said...

I'm assuming this is a certain Dordt professor asking these questions?

I wasn't that bad. I did make an error, but I also made an out or two. More importantly I kept the runners honest. They don't use a real baseball because of the cars and the road beyond the fence, so they use a rubber ball (similar to those in a batting cage). So I would submit that fielding that is a little trickier.

I started cracking up when I heard that song. They had some other interesting songs that they pirated as well, including a rendition of "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah!"

PR Merkle said...

It is a "certain" Dordt prof :)

I loved the photos of the game, too. Gotta get over there to watch some baseball sometime.

Keep posting--love the stories.