Thursday, July 30, 2009

Camel's Hump

I'm not sure how to encompass my vacation in a blog post, so I think I won't even attempt it. That being said, the feeling of being on the summit of Camel's Hump was amazing. The miles and hours of hiking were well worth it, as were the sore muscles. The wind whipped around my face as I gazed 360 degrees at distant mountains and rolling hills, all blanketed in trees which were formless and rather looked like green wool on giant sheep. Roads and farmhouses could be spotted here and there, and in the distant haze Lake Chaplain stretched long across the horizon. Hikers of all sorts mingled on the rocks where the conservationist in charge (?) of the summit lectured people to keep off the Alpine grass. We scarfed down sandwiches and other food we had brought along as we lay down on the rocks and caught naps in the sun. I took pictures with my old Olympus camera, framing each shot (only to later find I had accidentally loaded it wrong thus nullifying the attempt) as my dad reminded his rusty son of the finer points of photography. I climbed down to a more isolated spot and sat looking out across the vast forest below and in front of me, marveling at the wildness of all of it. My favorite part of the vacation, hands down.

1 comment:

Sarah G. said...

Sounds gorgeous. And I like the word "scarfed." Good choice :)