I have a bad habit of being too ambitious. Well, maybe it would be more accurate to say that I have a problem finishing things...well at least it takes some time. I usually start projects, stall for a bit and then finally complete them. I think I get too distracted or think that I have more time or effort to put into things. For instance, the last 2 weeks I've been rearranging three different rooms in the house, and totally reorganizing all the bookshelves (for those who haven't been to my house, we have a ton of books). While this has been a time intensive task by all accounts there have been days where I just didn't feel like doing it, and so I put in a token effort. It hasn't helped that the guys who installed some of the bookshelves haven't come back to finish so now I can't continue even though one of the rooms have stacks of books everywhere.
Then again, today I decided to clean my room. That quickly turned into me rearranging my room. While all the furniture is moved around and most of my stuff is put away there's still some stuff left undone. I believe it was a good thing to do, but it's still not completely finished. Instead of doing it I hung out tonight and am now wasting time writing this among other things. To add to all this I had started working on trying to compile editors notes to my grandpa's letters from WWII and that has stalled in the face of my other projects.
I'm definitely someone who works on deadlines. This is contributed to and furthered by procrastination. I don't think I ever finished a history paper in college before the night before it was due. Half the time I turned it in hot off the presses. I thrived under that pressure although I hated myself for it. Or when I pack to go on a trip, half the time I wait until the last minute. Sure, I have a whole list of stuff planned out but I haven't physically put the stuff in the suitcase when obviously it wouldn't be that hard. One time when I flew out to Dordt I finished packing 10 minutes before leaving for the airport.
My question is why I continue to follow this pattern if I obviously acknowledge it? Life would be much easier if I finished the tasks in a more timely fashion. Perhaps I just don't have the incentive right now since I'm not getting paid for any of it. I guess it's something I'll have to consciously work at this summer and in the future. The one thing I have been successful in finishing this summer are books, which in the past I have been too ambitious with as well. Reading more than 3 books at a time just doesn't work well.
5 comments:
I have the same habit. I made a long list of things to do this summer, and I haven't completed a fourth of them yet. Deadlines are a much-needed motivator, I'd say.
You really packed ten minutes before a trip?! Impressive. And that's cool that you're compiling editor's notes for the WWII letters. Sounds like a great project.
ADD?
Sarah: *finished* packing for a whole semester at Dordt...still a little close. Hopefully I can finish the letters this summer...it's been in the works for a long time. Dordt kind of distracted that goal. As Prof. Zwart always said, "Don't be controlled by the tyranny of the present!"
Shea: I guess it's possible? But I think that would boil over into the rest of my life which I don't think there's evidence for...
Don't tell my mom... I still haven't completely sorted through the boxes of stuff from when I moved out of my apt. Did I tell her I had? Yep.
I'm with you, I thrive under deadlines not realistically evaluating how much the time (or space) a project will take. . . my long suffering husband often makes up for my short comings and comes to my rescue helping me immensely.
Post a Comment