Friday, March 19, 2010

Jellyfish and Pig's Feet

What do these two things have in common you ask? Yes, dear reader, I consumed both of these foods last night. What's more is that I ate them together and it was delicious.

Andy and I took our assistants out to dinner before we went to play billiards (Korean style of course). They discovered we had never had this particular pork (most of the meat from the leg), so off we went to this restaurant. Most restaurants in Nampo-dong have both traditional seating on the floor and also chairs with higher tables for any foreigners who might come. Now, I've sat on the floor many times in various restaurants, but this guy wouldn't let us and kept pointing to the one open table. We quickly deduced that he didn't think we could eat on the floor. Our guess was affirmed by my assistant Min, which led to much laughter. Anyways, first they brought out many different sides and then a huge plate of sliced cucumbers and sliced pork. Under this was bits of jellyfish and the whole plate was covered in wasabi sauce. I couldn't tell if it was wasabi or the jellyfish poison that really cleared out my sinuses and made my throat tingle...regardless, it was good. They also brought out a couple pig's feet which we tried. Obviously not much meat on them, but they seemed to be slow cooked or smoked and so the meat was pretty tasty. Nothing like trying things for the first time.

2 comments:

Sarah G. said...

Sounds...delightful. At least it was an experience. When I was in Orvieto last week, I found out that they eat pigeons as a delicacy. I thought they were kidding, but they weren't. It's fun to try strange local cuisine, eh? :)

Elijah Palmer said...

Did you try the rock dove? Carpe Diem Sarah!!
I think French cuisine will be a little tamer, with the exception of escargots...which is good by the way.