"Sorry...but he is my 오빠 (older brother; senior), so..."
After living here for over a year, the culture can still surprise me. Or in this case, it can really frustrate me. Even after spending time, activities and exam questions on the topic of plagiarism, it is still popping up in our composition classes. A guy in Ashley's class copied the journals of a girl in my class. Her reason that she let him? He's her senior, so she had to give it to him when he asked.
A few days ago some students asked Ashley and I if we had culture shock. I said I did a little bit at first, but not anymore...I'm wondering if I spoke too soon.
There are times when I'm left thoroughly confused. I'm unable to understand why even though the professor (who should demand a higher level of respect in this culture) said not to, they still did it. I'm confused because the older student should have been setting a better example in this Confucian system. I'm particularly confused at why the Confucian system is held in higher esteem (in this situation) than honesty at a Christian university...
No comments:
Post a Comment