Monday, December 7, 2009

Final Exams

Final exams have started which means I have roughly 125 interviews with my students this week. I did a few on Friday and then today I started them in earnest. Many of them have small mistakes that are humorous, but these definitely stuck out so far today. I was laughing out loud for the first one, and barely containing myself when I heard the second one (I couldn't laugh because it wasn't an English major).

Q:"Do you like science fiction movies? Why or why not?"
A:"Oh yes! I love the special effects. Like Star Wars." *starts waving his hand like a x-wing or something* "and then there are lasers!" *holds his other hand underneath and starts shooting up towards the other hand* "phew phew phew! foosh!" (and other sound effects) "It is spectacular and fantastic!"

Q:"Is fruit good for you?"
A: "Yes. I like apples. They help with constipation. When I am constipated, I eat apples."

ADD-ONS (after all of the exams are finished):
"As you know, ALL males like martial arts."
I love the absoluteness of this statement and the fact that because I'm also male, I clearly would agree to it.

"I think you're getting handsome because of your beard."
While I appreciate the compliment on the beard, I have to wonder about my appearance pre-beard...

Q: Describe what a folktale is.
A: "A folktale is a story told mouth to mouth..."
This was a very common answer (or part of an answer). Lost in translation methinks.

I also learned this week that kimchi not only prevents the swine flu, but also cancer...sounds like old wives tales are strong here.

No comments: