When Koreans say "billiards" they don't mean pool. They call that "pocketball." No, Korean billiards is quite a different game. First of all, there are no holes/pockets, hence the name they give to our game. There are only four balls on the table. Two are red, one is white and the last one is yellow. The players are using either the white or yellow as their cue ball. If you hit one red ball, you get 0 points. Hit both of them and you get a point and another turn. If you don't hit either of the red balls, or your cue ball makes contact with the other cue ball, you lose a point. So the maximum you can get every time is one, while you can lose two points in one turn.
On Monday night after we had gotten my cell phone in Nampo-dong, Tupenny showed Andy and I a billiards place. We descended the escalator into an underground room with about 20 tables. Most of them were full on a Monday night. 45 minutes of playing established that none of us were very skilled at this game, but we had fun.
Lining up a shot.

Andy surveying the damage.

Our score board. I felt like I should be doing math on it or something.

Tupenny challenging me...he won.
1 comment:
Haha even I didn't know that!
Post a Comment